Saturday 22 February 2014

Inspiring Video to Reflect On

This past week I attended a movie viewing at the university. The movie was entitled "Girl Rising" and was being viewed in honour of Gender and Sexual Awareness Week at Lesley University.
After receiving the email about the event I thought the film sounded interesting but I would be at my internship site all day so I was not sure if I would have the energy to go. All day I debated going and finally decided to go while on my way home.

I am so glad I did. This is a film that will stay with me forever. The girls whose stories were told were inspiring and allowed me to be reminded of how lucky I am to have this opportunity of studying DMT. It was what I needed this week.

Reflecting back on the film now I am trying to relate the content to my Power, Privilege and Oppression class from last term. How does culture affect a community's views on education? How can we as practitioners be sensitive to a client's culture and the resistance they may be coming up against while seeking an education, while supporting them through this fight?

Check out the website below for information on the project and film.

No comments:

Post a Comment