Thursday 13 February 2014

School for the Blind

This week we started at a school for the blind for my theories class. Last week we had a tour of the facility and this week we began running our groups.

This is my first experience working with children and DMT and I think it will expand my knowledge of myself as a practitioner and as a mover. The school is fantastic and I have already learned about CHARGE syndrome which is a new disability for me to read up on.

I am brushing up on my sign language although this experience will solidify my ability to communicate relying solely on my body and its movements. Most of the children have multiple disabilities including but not limited to cerebral palsy, CHARGE syndrome, blindness and deafness. For some their only way of communicating is through movement and each child has their own unique language for us to learn.


1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    Really amazing - didn't realize that ou would have to physically move people whom were blind to get them to move correctly.
    Keep the BLOGs coming!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete