Wednesday 23 April 2014

Bobby Orr and Laban Movement Analysis

With the end of term approaching there are many final papers, projects and presentations in the works for the next 3 weeks. If you haven't already noticed my posts will probably become less frequent as I try to navigate the end of my first year in graduate school, yay!

In the meantime I wanted to share with you my meshing of something I'm learning in classes to something I'm big on, hockey! For my movement observation class' final project I had to write a paper and analyze movement around some activity I enjoy. Somehow I ended up on hockey, yes very stereotypical that the Canadian in the program picks hockey. So who else do I pick but Bobby Orr with whom I share the privilege of calling Parry Sound, ON home. Specifically I chose to analyze his 1970 Stanley Cup winning goal (pictured below). (Shout out here to my Uncle who is a big hockey fan, I now can say I know hockey facts!).

I just finished presenting my project to the class and it ended up taking twice the time I thought because I had to explain how hockey is played to my classmates and teacher. All in all the project was a success and I really got into this project of applying skills I am learning to "everyday life". It also gave me a chance to connect with home while thinking about how else Laban movement analysis can be applied outside the classroom setting.

Photo from www.bobbyorrhalloffame.com

No comments:

Post a Comment