Wednesday 11 September 2013

Putting it into a Canadian context

I have now survived the first week and a half of classes. The semester is looking busy but never before have I wanted to do my readings like I do now. I have powered through quite a few today and am forcing myself to take a break. 

What is striking me as I read through chapters on what DMT is and it's history, is how different the field seems to be in Canada. I am not claiming to be an expert on the field, either in Canada or the U.S., but I have noticed a few things. It seems in the early days of DMT it was acceptable in clinical settings with Marian Chace (whom they call the founder of the field) beginning in a hospital, St. Elizabeth's. However, through my practicums at ISIS-Canada, it seemed as though any suggestion of working in a clinical setting was met with some resistance. 

Of course going to school in the U.S. means I will be learning the history of the field in the U.S. but it has sparked my interest in learning the development of DMT in Canada. Why has it practically disappeared there whereas here in the U.S. it is a lively field with 95% of graduates from my program having multiple job offers before they even graduate?

No comments:

Post a Comment